Sin Huat Eating House

My stomach grumbled, my heart ached and my mouth salivated looking at these pics:

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

Now read on.

From Chubby Hubby, adapted from 8Days:

“Sin Huat’s famous crab beehoon (for four) alone may set you back an eye-popping $72 and six steamed tiger prawns can cost something in the region of $42! Yet, you would hear nary a peep of complaint from their diners, which includes chop-socky goddess of action, Michelle Yeoh, who we understand makes it a point to tuck into the steamed fish here whenever she’s in town. Be warned, though. To dine here, one must firmly believe that ‘all good things come to those who wait’… and wait. Once the food arrives, though, all impatience will dissipate. The fresh steamed gong-gongs (mini-size conchs, $25 a kilo) come with an extraordinary chilli dip, its garlicky spiciness addictive to the last bit. The steamed prawns ($42), gargantuan by any standards, are tastebud-thrillers to the end. The pièce de résistance, the award-winning crab beehoon ($36, one crab), is equally stunning – both in size and flavour. The Godzillian crab bursts with roe and the flesh is firm, as it should be, though the beehoon is a tad too sweet for our liking. Still, we wouldn’t have seafood any other way. Michelle Yeoh is certainly on to a good thing….”

From Joone:

“We started off with the stir-fried vegetables, which still a radiant green, crunchy and dressed with garlic and a little soy based sauce. Following, we had the steamed squid, that was sweet and not rubbery (reminded me of the squid I had at Valentino), with a garlic sauce and its natural juices. Shortly after, the garoupa which was just swimming in one of the Danny’s tanks was served, and you can certainly taste the freshness of the fish. Steaming the whole fish on the bone sealed in all the sweet juices which were subtle and brought to life by the salty sauce it was served on. Finally, the piece de resistance, the moment I was dreaming about, the crab bee hoon. The plate arrived and so did the intoxicating smell of the dish, it smelt like the breath of the wok. The crab were a beautiful couple, one packed full of roe, and the other was a large male with pincers that when cracked opened could have been eaten like a crab lollipop”

Goodness. I need breakfast. And a meal at this Sin Huat. Who wants to go with me?!

Sin Huat Eating House
659-661 Geylang Road Lorong 35 Junction
Singapore 389589
Tel: 6744-9755

Sin Huat Eating House by

Comments

1. Miguel Peru says:

Please is there any way I could get a Sin Huat’s famous crab beehoon taste alike recipe. I stayed for a while in Singapore back in1994 but i think this dish did not exist.

Can you make me happy .
    I´m writing from Peru And I prepare a Splendid Chili Crab

Miguel Medina

2. Razlan says:

Hey Miguel, I doubt anyone would have that recipe (else anyone can imitate their success!). Come back to Singapore and talk to the owner of Sin Huat or something :)

3. Jeffrey RS says:

Sin Huat crab beehoon,was the best in town and no doubt,once in Singapore have to try this crab beehon which will never forgotten

4. Nalin says:

Sin Huat is probably one of the most over-rated eating places in Singapore. For that money, the food is close to ordinary and the decor lousy. Stay away is my advice.

5. Cheated says:

Do your know how much it cost?? Is a “black shop”. No menu…. 8 pax 6 dishes $500 plus….. sucks…

6. Kian says:

Went to try last evening, 2 pax – S$85, we only ordered Crab Bee Hoon (small) & Scallop + 2 drinks. Arrived there at 8.05pm, hard to find parking – ended parked at HDB with 10 mins walk. Sat down on table at 8.15pm, signalled many times, no one came to take order until 8.30pm. For that matter, the place was not packed at all.
    2 drinks with peanuts served at 8.40pm, then scallops came – 8 numbers of fresh scallops with black sauce – S$25 served at 8.50pm. 9.15pm still no sign of crab bee hoon, reminded the store again, they replied – coming. 9.30pm reminded them again & ask to cancel the order. The replied coming again… crab bee hoon didn’t arrive until close to 10pm… Took us almost 2 hrs to wait for the food… I must say food is not bad, but not to the extent having to wait for such along time…

7. dennis says:

It’s a scam. I think those rave reviews are
    not trustworthy. The place is a slum, service very bad and slow. We arrived 7:30pm and crab dish came at 10pm! It think the slow service is intentional, because there weren’t really that many customers. while we waited, we ordered many drinks (for non-alcoholic drinks, they only sell “homemade”, i.e. high margin, drinks, nothing else).

Crab beehoon taste came from lots of MSG, we had to drink a lot of water later.

Save yourself time, money and sorrows. Don’t go.

8. Kian says:

2 drinks with peanuts served at 8.40pm, then scallops came – 8 numbers of fresh scallops with black sauce – S$25 served at 8.50pm. 9.15pm still no sign of crab bee hoon, reminded the store again, they replied – coming. 9.30pm reminded them again & ask to cancel the order. The replied coming again… crab bee hoon didn't arrive until close to 10pm… Took us almost 2 hrs to wait for the food… I must say food is not bad, but not to the extent having to wait for such along time…

Post Navigation